Sunday, January 25, 2009

Baking and Cooking Goal

Yay!

I found this recipe for homemade Sweet Korean Pancakes. Here is the link:
http://mykoreankitchen.com/2007/01/29/korean-sweet-pancakes-hoddeok-fully-home-made-version/

Like the one who made this recipe, I found out about Swee Korean Pancakes from a store-bought mix set. It was really good and my whole family liked it! They said it tasted like "butchi" (spelling?) My family is Filipino, so it is a type of rounded, deep fried ball that has sweet mung beans in the middle of it... I should learn how to make butchi (and learn how to spell it) for the next blog! Who knows...


I also copy-pasted the word contents link... just in case for some reason it stops working in the future. The copy-pasted part does not include pictures, howerver.

Thanks! And here's the recipe:
Korean Sweet Pancakes (Hoddeok) - Fully Home Made Version
Published January 29th, 2007 in Snacks and Korean Pancakes.
Tags: korean pancakes, Snacks.



Hey, Check this out! Last week I made these sweet pancakes with premixed ingredients from the factory, and now I present you here sweet pancakes with fully homemade ingredients. To be correct, I don’t have a farm to grow wheat or sugar cane etc. The point is that I was able to make it from scratch. It has been only a week since I posted the premix version, but due to its popularity and unavailability of the premix in the United States, I rushed a bit to post this recipe. .. You’re welcome.

Compared to the premix version, it was super. First, I made it, so it should be better with my extra tender love and care. Second, it didn’t taste like anything artificial because I could manage the ingredients. Third, it was very cheap. I didn’t buy any extra ingredients, because I had all ingredients available in my kitchen.

The Baked Hoddeok smelt really nice. A well balanced smell of melted sugar and cinnamon. The cinnamon smell reminded me of easter hot cross buns. Though, while you are fermenting you need to endure the unpleasant smell from the yeast, I don’t really have much experience using yeast, does it always smell awful?

Ingredients for 6 pancakes

All purpose white flour - 1¼ cups
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Milk - 90 ml (6 tbsp)
Fermented yeast water (mix these well in bowl 1)

Warm water (40℃) - 45 ml (3 tbsp)
White sugar - 1/4 tsp
Dry yeast- 1/4 tsp
Stuffing (mix these well in bowl 2)

Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Crushed walnuts- 2 tbsp (you can use peanuts instead, but I prefer walnuts)
Dark brown sugar - 90 ml (6 tbsp)
Steps

1. Leave the mix of fermented yeast water in a warm place (30-40 ℃) for 10 minutes.



2. After 10 minutes, sieve the flour then add the salt, milk, and yeast water.



3. Mix them well and cover the bowl with wrap. Ferment it in a warm place for 3 hours.



4. When the dough is ready, put some oil on your hands (anti stick purpose) and separate an adequate amount of the dough (to allow 6 to be made), then put it on your hand.



5. Widen the dough with your hands and put a spoonful of stuffing on it. Seal the dough. Repeat it for the rest of the dough.





6. Pre heat the frying pan for 20 seconds and add some oil.
7. Put 2-3 sealed dough balls onto the pan and turn them over when the bottom part is cooked. (Cook them on medium to low heat)



8. Press the dough with a spatula and when both sides are golden brown you can serve them on a plate.

Sorry, while I was eating busily, I completely forgot to take picture of its front. It tastes best when it is still warm, you know. So here is a picture from last time, I made this with premixed ingredients, it should look the same.



By the way, I had a bit of stuffing left and it was enough to make 2 extra pancakes. So if you follow my recipe, just keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment