Monday, February 16, 2009

Cooking Goal - Spinach Spaghetti

So today I wanted to cook something reasonably healthy. I was going to make this chesnut rice off of a recipe I found on theanimeblog.com (which by the way has tons of japanese recipes), but I realized I didn't have a majority of the ingredients. I found that we had some spinach in the fridge that I was afraid would go to waste, so I looked up spinach recipes online. I found one, but I changed it up a little bit. I'll put the edits on the actual recipe that I have pasted below.

Here's the url:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1926,159163-248195,00.html


SPAGHETTI WITH SPINACH AND CLAM SAUCE

1 (16 oz.) pkg. spaghetti - I actually used linguini noodles. These worked great!*
2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans white clam sauce - I used clam chowder! Generic brands work fine.
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen, chopped spinach, thawed - I used 1 fresh bunch of spinach.
1 1/2 tsp. oregano leaves, crushed - I only put a dash of a McCormic mix that had oregano and garlic powder in it, along with other flavorings.
1/8 tsp. garlic powder - Along with the McCormic mix, I added 2 cloves of pounded, chopped garlic.
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 inch of Cracker Barrel Vermont Cheese, sliced - I added this ingredient
Tips:


  • Spinach - I bought this at a local "multicultural" grocery. I believe the vegetables from these types of groceries tend to be cheaper?

  • Vermont cheese - I chopped this into 2in x 1cm x 1cm pieces and added it to the mix a bit later. This made them melt only a little bit, so that they added texture to the sauce. If you like tasting the chese, I think this is good for you.

Things I would do better:



  • * Obviously, cooking all of the noodles all at once. Or else when draining, some will be over cooked while others will still be hard.

  • Make more!! I made this for my family (four of us total) and it was lacking. I believe the servings given serves about 2-3 adults.

Things to try out:



  • Spinach - I chopped the leaves into four. It worked out well, but I wonder what would happen if I chopped them more finely. Would the pasta taste more strongly of spinach? Or would it become greener? Maybe I can chop half into smaller bits, while the other into fours.

  • Milk? - I wonder how additional milk will change the taste. I want to add this in order to increase the amount of sauce.

Thanks for reading! Let me know how your Spinach Spaghetti works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment